I have worked in a start-up and enterprise companies. Both are foreign based companies, expanding market in Myanmar. As far as I worked, I found the different advantages and disadvantages.
In start-up companies
1. You are responsible not only for what your contract is saying, but also other things. I mean you will have to do everything that you can do. You will sometimes be a cleaner if there is no cleaner in the office. Sometimes you will also become a customer service manager even though you are a developer. Startups usually don’t have enough crew to take care each responsibility. It also make you improve your skill not only on your expertise, but also in other fields such as public relation, copywriting, developing, managing, planning, and many others according to your company type. You should be proud of it.
2. You decision don’t need to pass many stages. If our CEO is holding everything such as financial jobs, legal jobs, HR jobs and so on. Your decision will probably be final if CEO agree with you. You don’t need to wait too long to know if budget is coming or not coming. Once you done your business plan and marketing plan, you can do it immediately. Time saved.
1. First thing is about salary. Start-up companies never give you your expected salary. They are limited budget. It means that you will get paid small.
2. Start-up industry should only be for young people, who are under 30. You don’t have insurance for your life surviving in start-up life. The company will be fail or win. It is not sure. It means that you will get kick out sometime from the company if CEO don’t left any money more. If investors stopped paying, you will not be paid anymore. Your annual leave, monthly bonus and everything are very smaller than those who work at enterprise companies.
1. The first advantage is about salary. Enterprise company can pay you your expected salary. You will not get disappointed with it.
2. Beside salary, facilities and other accommodations, compensations are very awesome too. You will even get transportation service, yearly bonus, many paid leaves and so on.
3. Enterprise companies can grandee your life not to get poor as long as you are working for them. Even if you attend hospital, the company will pay for you. Enterprise company is always good for people who are over 30s. For their life time, company will help them anyway.
1. You will be very small there. You may not believe that some enterprise company even hire printer specialist to print papers. There even I saw head of paper work service who take care of every problem and claims of printer user in the company. He had to check every printer working fine and all paper are good. Whatever you have done in the past and how much skills you have, you will only have to specialize one job in the company. The company wants you to focus on one duty only. They don’t need you to work for media relation if you are not on it. They have people for it already.
2. The process takes long. For every claims and requests, you must have to prepare it before two weeks at least. If you have to claim for budget for event, you have to send request letter before two weeks at least to finance department for money. If you finished your business and marketing plan, you will have to wait until very board member read your and approve it. After only getting approved by board team, you will have to go the rest steps. Then everything will be delay. So every process is taking long.
What would you like to choose?
Here I have no suggestion for you to choose. But I have some comments. To choose a job, you always have to see –
1) What you can learn
2) If you have opportunities
If you still have something to learn and have opportunities in the company, it doesn’t matter if you should choose big or small companies. As long as you are getting both, your choice is the best.
Author: Aung Kham
Image source: internsme.com